God has blessed Graystone with incredibly talented musicians and vocalists. I am blown away each week with the songs they pull off. Whether it is playing a feature song (sometimes “secular”) to reinforce the message or a worship song to lead us into the presence of God, our bands do an incredible job. I cannot wait for the live worship album to come out.
I have no musical talent whatsoever. When Jennifer and I were engaged, she embarrassingly took me to her voice coach and had me sing to determine if I was tone-deaf. I am NOT. Sometimes when I am singing in the car or at church, Jennifer just looks at me and laughs. Hey Jack, I am making a joyful noise to the Lord.
Last Sunday and this upcoming Sunday at Graystone Church, we have quite a variety of music which includes feature songs by the band, video background music and random quotes of obscure song lyrics in my sermons. I hope you enjoy all of this as much as I do. Almost everything in our Sunday experiences is done to help us learn a practical message from the Bible and remember it for weeks to come.
Here are 5 (6) songs from last week and this week at Graystone:
1. “You Can’t Always Get What You Want” by the Rolling Stones
2. “Sharp Dressed Man” by ZZ Top (BTW, I saw ZZ Top in concert at Reunion Arena in Dallas in 1986.)
3. “C’mon, Get Happy” by Jamaican artist Jimmy Cliff
4. Keith Urban…You’ll have to come Sunday to find out what song the band is playing.
5. I quoted 2 random 80’s songs during my message last Sunday. Most people recognized the lyrics from “Ice Ice Baby” by Vanilla Ice. This is a “go to” that appears in my messages once a year. But I’m not sure anyone realized that I quoted lyrics from “Let’s Go Crazy” by Prince? BTW, I saw Prince in concert for the Purple Rain Tour in the New Orleans Superdome in 1984. Sheila E. with her glowing drumsticks was the opening act.
Well, we have a lot of fun at Graystone and do not take ourselves too seriously. I hope you will join us this Sunday as I teach one of the key ingredients to being happy, happy, happy. Have a great weekend!