Archive for the ‘Sports’ Category
As a college student, one of the cupcake electives I took at JSU (Just Show Up) was Weight Training and Running. Coach Bell was our teacher. He spoke in a slow, monotone drawn out voice. One class he taught and demonstrated for us the basics of running. I thought it was hilarious at the time because I was a college athlete. He said that when you run you need to put one foot in front of the other and stay as straight as possible. Over 20 years later, every time I run, I think about Coach Bell’s elementary instructions.
It is the same simple principle in running the Christian life (1 Corinthians 9:24-27). Whether we are crawling, walking or running toward Christ, we need to put one foot in front of the other and stay as straight as possible. As I shared in last Sunday’s message, The Season, our goal is to walk with God for a lifetime. And we do that by spending time with God each day. Some days, we do not feel like getting up and running spiritually, but as our friend, David Pollack, shares with us in this video…#EveryDayCounts.
A big THANK YOU goes out to Clint Frazier and Austin Meadows for shooting the videos with me for Jersey Day at Graystone Church. I had an absolute blast, and I know everyone enjoyed watching them take me yard. These two young men who represent our local high schools and communities are both class acts and the real deal. Let’s pray for God to continue to bless their baseball careers.
I have a feeling these videos just might be worth something one day. Too bad I don’t have video footage of me striking out Brett Favre. I had to work it in one more time. BTW, my favorite part of the video is wearing my 1992 Nike Sharks which I failed to highlight in the Clint Frazier video.
What’s your favorite part of the video?
Here are both videos:
Posted in Graystone Church, Missions/Outreach, Sports, tagged Atlanta Braves, Brett Favre, Foster Care, High School Baseball, MLB, Orphan Care, Pizza, Top Recruits on April 26, 2013 | Leave a Comment »
In typical Graystone fashion, our team has GONE the extra mile for Jersey Day. I hope you’re ready. The biggest thing is I hope you are BRINGING SOMEONE with you. I’m recruiting heavy from all 3 of my current teams, not including my Graystone basketball team who better ALL be at Jersey Day with friends in tow.
Here are 5 Things to know:
1. The team with the highest % of players present wins a FREE pizza party. There will be at least one winner at both campuses: Ozora and Walton. If 2 teams tie (I.e. both have 100% of players present…this is what I’m shoot for with my tennis team), they will both win pizza parties. We are not afraid to give away a pizza party. Just think, if one person’s life is changed for all eternity, it is worth 100 pizza parties. Who are you bringing?
2. Wear your favorite or team jersey. If you’re new to Graystone, this is not a trick to get you to wear a jersey and everyone else is wearing a suit and tie. Nope. Just about EVERYONE (grandparents too) will be wearing a jersey. In fact, I may have a different jersey for every service.
3. We’re giving away FREE Braves tickets with a parking pass in every service. If you want to attend all 4 services at both campuses to increase your odds of winning, then go for it. I encourage a strong competitive spirit. We are in it to win it!
4. I will be introducing baby Jase on Sunday. He is the newborn baby who showed up at our house on Monday…6 pounds, 4 days old, no name, and no family. He is a true orphan. He is living with us until he has a permanent family and home. We’re not sure how long this will be. The people of Graystone are showering him with God’s love and generosity. I’m so honored to serve at a church that loves and cares for orphans. I know God is pleased with the Graystone family.
5. We have video footage of me taking the mound against 2 top major league baseball prospects: Clint Frazier (Walton) and Austin Meadows (Ozora). I don’t think either one of them were ready for my off speed fastball. Come find out what happens. Will they join the club with Brett Favre as strike out victims of the legendary (in his own mind) Johnny Howes?
Here’s a sneak peak video:
Posted in Graystone Church, Missions/Outreach, Random, Sports, Vision, Volunteers, tagged Barter Kings, Basketball, Brad Paisley, bulldozer, hyperbaric chamber, woodworking tools on February 8, 2013 | Leave a Comment »
1. Last Sunday, Graystone’s band played Brad Paisley’s song, Online. We had to change the lyrics a little. It was the perfect feature song for our new message series, Identity.
2. This Sunday at Graystone, we will show video footage of me driving a bulldozer. It was a blast, and I think I may have missed my calling in life. Not really. I’ll explain Sunday.
3. Graystone Walton launches in 22 days (03.03.13). Our incredible Walton staff and set up team will be setting up EVERYTHING this Sunday at 8:00AM at Loganville High School.
- This Sunday we will set everything up: parking signs, coffee bar, guest services, sound system, drums/instruments, children’s area, etc.
- Next Sunday, February 17, we’ll have a practice service at 10:30am.
- Then, Sunday, February 24 will be our Preview Service where I will be speaking live at 10:30am. I’m so pumped about this.
- Then, the grand opening is March 3, 2013 (03.03.13) at 10:30am.
Who do you know in Walton County that you can invite?
4. Vision Night is Wednesday, February 13 at 7:00PM. If you are part of Graystone Church locally, please make it a priority to attend. This is one of our favorite nights of the year. In 2012, we held hands around the entire outside of the building (Prayer circle) and from the roof, I prayed for our church and community. It was freezing cold but AWESOME. I can’t tell you what we’re doing this year, because Heath likes to keep things a surprise. You don’t want to miss it. It only happens once a year.
5. I’m looking to barter for a hyperbaric chamber. I would like to use it for our Graystone Basketball Team. If you haven’t heard, we are the best church basketball team in the universe. We are getting a little old, so I need an edge to help my players recover quicker from injuries and sore muscles. If you have any leads, please let me know. We have an awesome set of woodworking tools that I would like to trade.
We’ve started clearing land and moving dirt on our Graystone Ozora Campus. The football/soccer/lacrosse/multipurpose field is under construction (See video below). God will use this ball field to impact hundreds of kids for Christ.
Thank you for giving to our 2012 Christmas Offering to make this possible.
1. Scary video (Part 2)…the finale of the Phobia series.
2. Guest worship leader, Zach Orr, will be joining KATB.
3. Nate Rector is sharing a message on “Overcoming the Fear of Failure”. It looks like a great one. I got a sneak peak at his notes.
4. Walton Campus team/info meeting at 12:00PM. Everyone joining the launch team will get a free T-shirt on Sunday. Click here for more info.
5. We should have a HUGE CROWD if Georgia can beat Georgia Southern.
1. Bradley and Dilan went home yesterday to live with their mom. This is great news because the goal of foster care is to reunite the kids with their parents. The boys lived with us for 9 weeks, and it’s amazing how quickly they became a part of our family. I’ll share a little on Sunday about Bradley and Dilan, and I’m going to try not to cry because it has been brought to my attention by some of the elders that I am a cryer. Also, I have a major sermon brewing in my heart of what I’ve learned from foster care about us being adopted into God’s family. I’m not sure when I will preach this message, but I’m pretty sure it will be “one of my good ones”.
2. This Sunday’s message is titled, “Overcoming the Fear of Going Broke”. We are currently living in a down economy and the results of the election are making it even harder on many of our church members, especially small business owners. God has laid the perfect message on my heart for Sunday. In fact, Jesus has already preached a sermon on this. We’ll be looking at what He has to say about the economy. If you liked last Sunday’s message, then you will really like this one. If you didn’t like last Sunday’s message, then suck it up and come anyway. God wants to continue to challenge and strengthen your faith.
3. Rumor has it that KATB (Kyle and the Band) will be playing a little Bruno Mars. Can you guess what song their singing? BTW, I play the rain stick, and I am currently between bands. If you know anyone looking for a large rain stick player, please pass my name on to them.
4. We are planning to have 4 Christmas services this year over a 2 day period. So, hopefully, this will work out for EVERYONE’S schedule. Christmas is one of our favorite (if not best) services of the year. Our service times will be Sunday, December 23 at 5:00 & 6:30PM and Monday, December 24 at 3:30 & 5:00PM. Please go ahead and start making plans now for which service is best for you and your family to attend. Also, Christmas is a wonderful time of year to invite a friend. Who are you bringing?
5. Duck Dynasty is the best show on TV. They are now in my top 5 favorite things. BTW, I am thinking about not getting a haircut in the month of November. It could get a little unruly.
My Top 5 List
- Duck Dynasty
Posted in Bible, Graystone Church, Random, Sports, tagged Alabama Crimson Tide, ALTA Tennis, Daylight Savings Time, Georgia Bulldogs, Hell, Hotty Toddy, LSU Tigers, Presidential Election on November 2, 2012 | Leave a Comment »
2. Even if Alabama pounds LSU (which EVERYONE is predicting), I will still be at church on Sunday morning. If LSU wins, which is highly unlikely, I may even be wearing the royal colors of purple and gold. If not, I’m sure we will hear a few “roll tides” from some of our redder necks in the congregation. :-) As always, I will be praying for the Georgia Bulldogs to win. Hopefully, there will not be too many hotty toddy cheers at Sanford Stadium.
3. My message Sunday is titled, Is America Going to Hell? I’ve struggled all week with this one due to the political tension in the air and the sensitivity of the election and such. But I feel like God has laid a challenging message on my heart. Hopefully, it will be “one of my good ones”.
4. I’m taking a different approach to this “election message” than most of you think. My message will come from the book of Daniel. So, we will be talking about Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego. Or as one of my good African American friends likes to say, “Shadrach, Meshach and A Bad Negro”. We are also going to be hitting up 1 Peter, Philippians, Romans, Exodus, Proverbs, and Joshua. You might want to bring your bibles…electronic, paperback or leather bound (old school baby).
5. Sunday afternoon, the Graystone Ladies Tennis Team will be playing in the semifinals of the ALTA City Championships. If they win City Finals, their coach has promised to grow out his long, flowing blonde mullet. You can pray accordingly. I’m sure that many of you would be divided in your vote as to whether or not you would like to see your pastor daunting a mullet.